The Fallen Soldiers Memorial

The ANZAC Memorial Funds raised by the Traralgon RSSILA after World War 1, were originally intended for the erection of a Memorial Hall, but in 1919 the Committee applied for consent to use the funds for the erection of a Memorial Statue instead.

After years of correspondence with the Melbourne Headquarters of the RSSILA and the Repatriation Department, on Sunday, 25th February, 1923, the Statue, originally facing east, was unveiled.

In early 1979 the marble figure was turned to face west into the gardens and the new “wings” were added on either side to commemorate those who died in the 1939-1945 and the Vietnam wars.

Pictured: The Fallen Soldiers Memorial stands at the Franklin Street end of the Kay Street gardens.